2012-07-25

Laramie - Day 2

Woke up around 0400 - wonder if it's the altitude?  Finally got out of bed at 0500.  Worked on a financial database for my authoring business I've been developing for about a week.  This will replace my spreadsheet which has become a bit unwieldy to use.  I'm also hoping to incorporate some automation in processing Smashwords and Amazon sales data.  Took shuttle bus to class.


Michael Brotherton started off the day with a lecture on "The Electromagnetic Spectrum, Light, and Astronomical Tools".  It's interesting being in a class with a group of people such as us.  We frequently have side discussions and it's during these side discussions that I seem to learn the most.  For instance while discussing the spectrum Farah Mendlesohn just told us that carrots used to be purple but the Dutch bred them to be orange.  Earlier in the day we all picked a lunch item from a local restaurant and they had it delivered.  I had a chicken sandwich – pretty good.


After lunch we had a lecture from a professor (Dale - couldn't get his last name) from Cornell about dust and asteroids.  Following that, Mike talked to us about motion and energy in space.  We then walked over to another building.  We had to use the tunnels (underground hallways actually) to get there as it was pouring down rain.  We then spent some time in a lab where we saw spectrograms of various gasses.  I managed to take a couple of photos that turned out pretty good.


To round out the day, about half the group went to eat and the other half  went to see The Dark Knight Rises.  I went to the movie.  Not bad.  Went to bed quite late.

Nova Ren Suma (one of the authors) was complaining about having a bad headache.  That's one of the signs of altitude sickness.  Others then mentioned that she was not alone.  Thanks to my wife, I've been taking an herbal supplement called Breathe from Life Shield and I have had no problems adjusting to the higher altitude.

I also finally found out how to calculate the distance between any two stars given their right ascention, declination, and distance from Sol.  I will be building this into a spreadsheet for later use.