2012-07-20

Watch the copy and paste!

My apologies to my blog readers concerning my last blog's readability.  I had cut and pasted the last post from the SFF website into the blog not realizing that I would alse be pasting the entire HTML code as well.  The text was unreadable.  I have fixed it.  I will review my posts from now on and edit the HTML as necessary.

I've been stuck on chapter 4 of Peacekeeper for about a week.  I think I finally figured out how to proceed last night.  Here's the problem: I have a lot of preliminary stuff I want to get into the book but it might detract from the book's sense of action.  I really don't want to take out the details of how the book's main character is transformed into a cybernetic Peacekeeper but I might have to drastically shorten it to keep the action going.  I thought I could base a large part of the book on an ancient unpublished manuscript titled 'Elite of the Alliance' but after reading most of what I had written nearly 30 years ago I've realized that most of it will never be published.  I can, however use bits and peaces to spice up Peacekeeper and that's what I'm going to do - with modifications.

I leave for Laramie Wyoming in two days and I'm a bit nervous.  From what I've been able to find out about the other attendees, I am the ONLY indie author among the group.  Everyone else has won awards and is affiliated with a major publishing house.  I am definitely the underdog.  Although I'm nervous, I'm not going to just sit in a corner.  I plan to establish some good relationships while there and to gain some insight into how other authors work.  To me, the additional knowledge I will gain in the area of astronomy is secondary.  Book sales are still very slow and if anyone can provide some guidance on how to boost sales it will be these people.  I'm looking forward to this trip.  I will try to blog as often as I can while I'm there.  I also plan on keeping a daily journal which I will post on my website when I return.

If anyone would like to contact me directly I can be reached at: author@dougfarren.com.  If you would like to be included in any mailings concerning new releases please indicate that and I will put you on my list.  I don't send out many such emails so don't worry about receiving a bunch of junk from me.  I never include someone on the list unless they specifically ask and I will always send out such mailings using the BCC option.

My next blog will most likely be from Laramie.  Wish me luck!