2012-08-09

Stephen King : On Writing

I just finished reading Stephen King's "On Writing".  This book was recommended by several of the people from Launchpad.  It was a good read and provided a window into the mind of a very good writer.  He does point out that every writer has his/her own distinct method of writing.  Some use outlines, some develop detailed plots, and others (like him and, interestingly enough, myself) simply let the story evolve on its own.  Like me, Mr. King starts off with an idea for a story and then just starts writing.

I have requested permission from the publisher to use a quote from the book in all my future novels:

"Language does not always have to wear a tie and lace-up shoes.  The object of fiction isn't grammatical correctness but to make the reader welcome and then tell a story … to make him/her forget, whenever possible, that he/she is reading a story at all."

In other news, as soon as I have time to write, I will be working on a short story.  Peacekeeper is coming along nicely but the short story will have priority.  Don't worry, it won't take me long at all to write it.  I have the entire story in my head complete with two possible endings.  One of my new friends from Launchpad will be reviewing it (and choosing the best ending) and then I'm going to submit it to several magazines starting with Lightspeed.  This will help promote my other books.

Finally, I had another stellar review on Amazon.co.uk (the UK version of Amazon.com) of "Honor Thy Enemy" which included a mention of the entire Galactic Alliance series.  Five stars: "I've just finished the trilogy from the Kindle store, took about a week as I have to work. As an ageing, lifelong fan of Space Opera (but I prefer 'hard') science fiction this is great stuff! It's reads as well as Asimov and Niven, has twists like Heinlein and engages like Bear and Bova.

Really looking forward to Peacekeeper and much, much more.!" 

It's reviews like the above that will keep me writing!  Thank you Garrath Earnshaw "Country Boy" (W. Yorks United Kingdom) and everyone else who have commented.