2012-09-07

Peacekeeper update

My short story was rejected by Lightspeed magazine.  There's no shame in that.  Many authors get rejections on good stories and I'm not upset at all.  I've submitted it to Analog magazine.  They have a 5 week wait before replying to submissions.  If Analog turns it down (very possible) then I will put it up on my website.  I will let you know what happens.

Looks like most of the Launchpad friends came back from Chicon-7 with some sort of flu - they're calling it the chicrud.  Appropriate.  Oddly enough, I've also come down with some type of sore throat that's been lingering for 4 days now.  It doesn't slow me down but at night it makes sleeping a bit difficult because that's when it decides to get dry and more sore.  Taking zinc and supplements to fight it.

Peacekeeper is coming along nicely with over 30,000 words now sitting inside the hard drive.  This book is a bit unique for me because I'm using chunks from another book to create this one.  I copy a chapter and then spend a couple days editing it, adding new material, and deleting huge pieces of it.  Now that I have 7 novels under my belt I can easily see why 'The Elite of the Alliance' could never have been published!  The storyline is about to diverge from that old novel and new material will soon be flowing.

I am constantly amazed as to how the subconscious mind works.  One of the scenes I copied had the main character save a passenger liner from pirates.  There are no pirates in the GA universe!  But I needed to do something to add some adventure and mystery at that point in the book.  I rewrote the scene adding a bit of mystery to the book.  Truthfully, I didn't have much more beyond that.  The other day, as I was thinking about stuff much farther along in the story I discovered that I needed that scene to help knit together the developing story line.  Same goes for the bit I decided to put at the beginning.  I did it to kick-start the book.  Now, it's going to play a pivotal roll in things.

Finally, I sat down and put together a list of cons I will be attending next year.  Not sure what I will do there, but I'm going.  Next year is going to be a busy one for me.  The nuke plant I work at is shutting down for refueling between 3/18 and 5/5.  That's 12 hour days, 6 days a week.  Writing might just be put on hold.  But I should manage to attend the following: Millennicon (3/15 - 3/17 in Cinncinatti, OH), Convergence (7/4 - 7/8 in Bloomington, MN), and Dragoncon (8/29 - 9/3 in Atlanta, GA).