2012-10-17

10-17-12 Peacekeeper and Scrivener

Peacekeeper is beginning to move along albeit slowly.  I'm having a hard time finding my 'groove' recently.  I believe the issue has to do with distractions.  There was a time when I did a lot of computer programming.  I loved it and there are times I miss the thrill of watching a complex piece of code execute flawlessly.  Speaking in the tongue of C or VB was always fun.  A few weeks ago, I was asked if I would like to finish a project I started nearly 2 years ago.  Even though the possibility of being allowed to continue work on the project is slim (manpower issues) it triggered that old 'programming' mode inside me.  I've been reading a couple books on Visual Studio and C# programming.  That's my major distraction right now.

I recently picked up a book titled Philosophical Explanations by Robert Nozick.  I didn't realize that philosophy books were so hard to read!  It's like reading a book on quantum physics when you have only a knowledge of basic algebra.  Heavy stuff.  But, I'm plugging my way through this massive 650 page book in the hopes of expanding my limited awareness of my surroundings.  I also have magazines to read as well as several books on how to improve my writing and some science fiction I've been wanting to get to.  Time seems to be something I'm in short supply of.  Anyone know where I can buy some more?  Perhaps when I'm retired. . .yah--like that's going to happen soon.

I thought I would give one final update on Scrivener.  My bottom line after using it for quite some time now is that I like it.  I haven't tried to compile anything yet but for creating the first draft of a book I find it to be most useful.  The ability to display document notes as well as two separate documents simultaneously is a big advantage.  I like that it remembers where I left off.  There are ways of getting something about the same with Word or OpenOffice but it's not as smoothly integrated as Scrivener.  In the past, I would have to create two documents and then open then up and resize them so I could see them both.  With Scrivener it's part of the program.  I do have one word of advice - read the manual carefully!  I wanted to work with my manuscript as a single, large document and I thought Scrivener had a way of doing so.  It took some digging and I had to read the words carefully but I did figure out how to do it.  Many of the features are not self-evident so, please, read the manual.