2012-12-12

12-12-12: Peacekeeper update

It's the middle of the week and I just remembered I had not provided an update for some time.  Current word count is 57,900.  Looks like I'm on target for finishing the first draft by the end of the year.

I've started doing something I never thought would work out for me - I've been carrying a notebook around with me so I can write a few paragraphs when I have some idle time.  My job often has periods of idle time. In the past, I've used this time to work on problems of my current project in my head.  Recently, I decided to start carrying a notebook around with me.  Yesterday was a particularly slow day and I managed to write nearly 900 words!  All I had to do was to type them into the computer.  Now that's a good use of time, so guess what I'll be carrying around with me from now on.

Last night, I visited a mentally challenged individual who lives in an adult care facility around the corner.  He had seen the article in the newspaper about me and wanted to see me.  A nurse at the nursing home where my mother-in-law stays also works at this other place.  She talked to my wife and the arrangements were made.  I presented him with two books and we sat and chatted for about an hour.  He has been diagnosed as a schizophrenic with complications.  He seemed very intelligent and well-versed in science fiction.  He seemed pleased to see me and this morning I learned that he talked about the visit for hours after we left.  It's good to do something like that for others.

Today I received two packages that have made my day.  I am now the proud owner of every episode of FarScape as well as Star Trek The Next Generation.  Lots of things to watch when I decide to take a break.

Finally, I thought I would include the new covers for the first two books of the Galactic Alliance series.  Heather Zak, the wife of my best friend from high school, has been working very had at creating new covers for the entire series.  She is working on the last one now and I hope to have them all out by early next year.  So, here they are: