2013-03-02

03-02-2013: Scrivener correction

This may be my last post for awhile as I will start working 12 hour days on Monday.  I will be at Millenicon in a week but between driving and attending the convention I doubt I will have time to blog.  I will only have one day off each week during the refueling outage which will leave little time to do much more than play catch-up.

I do have a correction to make concerning Scrivener.  I mentioned that one of the small issued I had with it was that it removed the formatting of my scene break asterisks.  I've discovered that I was not using the Compile options correctly.  I've since gone back through the entire project and created sub-documents for each scene break.  The program automatically inserts the correctly formatted line of asterisks between each scene as desired.  Plus, this approach also makes it easier to outline the novel.  Scrivener is a very powerful program for writers and I highly recommend it.  The manual could use updating and enhanced with screen-shots showing and explaining how some of the more hidden features are used.  Scrivener combined with Dropbox is an unbeatable combination for writers on the go.

Peacekeeper stands at 82,474 words.  I'm still working on the final couple of chapters.  Lately, I've sat and stared at the blasted screen for many minutes, writing a sentence, then deleting it, then doing it over and over again.  Why has is suddenly become so hard to finish?  Perhaps it's because the final chapters bring together everything that's been going on up until now and I know that some of it needs to be seriously edited.  Perhaps, I will write a skeleton ending and then fill it all in during the first rewrite.

In other news, I've made a few minor changes to "Glitches" which will be published as part of a Launchpad anthology.  I fixed a few technical errors and made a couple of minor enhancements as suggested by Jody Nye.