2013-06-24

06-24-13: Writing update

I've managed to balance my fence project with writing. My fence is falling apart (I obviously didn't build it) and needs to be replaced. Several weeks ago I had wood delivered and ever since I've been working on getting the untreated wood prepared for installation as a fence. It's been a long project because I've had to treat all 100 2x4's as well as the 356 8x1 6-ft long pickets by hand--with a brush. The pickets were originally 12-ft long boards which I had to cut in half--all 180 of them. I have completed the 2x4s and I'm about 73% done with the pickets.

In the meantime, I've managed to get some serious editing done on Peacekeeper. As of right now, I am ready to begin editing what Scrivener shows as chapter 39.2. Well, that's what it's called anyway. It's actually more like the end of chapter 42. To bring this into perspective, it's the next to the last chapter of what has already been written and it is the start of a major battle scene that will require extensive modifications based on the changes I've made to earlier sections of the book. The wonderful thing about Scrivener is that I don't have to worry about what the chapters are labeled as it does all the labeling for me. All I have to do is to supply the breaks and keep on writing.

Here is an interesting piece of writing information: I seem to do some of my best scene creation while I'm in the shower. I was a little stuck on the ending. Although I had a good one in mind, it just wasn't exactly right. I wanted it to be better but could not come up with anything that would work. A couple days ago, the answer popped into my head while in the shower. I've been refining it while staining pickets. Now I'm ready to write it. If all goes well the book will be complete in about 2 or 3 weeks and then I will be ready to run through it one more time for a final editing pass before sending it to my wife for her proofing.