I know a few of you will be upset to hear this - work on Peacekeeper has stalled. There's actually several reasons for this. First and foremost is the ongoing fence rebuild. The fence surrounding my property is literally falling apart. Being a good neighbor, I've decided to replace it. This project started over a month ago with a delivery of wood. I've been spending most of my free time staining, cutting, and sanding the new wood. My dad has been here all this week helping me put the new fence up. Rain hasn't helped. Yesterday was taken up by saying goodbye to my daughter (she was visiting from Georgia) and digging a hole to sink a new pole to replace one that has rotted off. Needless to say, the fence project is a priority.
The other reason Peacekeeper has been stalled is that I ran into a problem. I asked some of my astronomy friends (professors) for help and so far they've come up empty. So, while working on the fence, I've been thinking about ways around the problem. I could push ahead and just finish but the story would not pass scrutiny and my science-savvy readers would have spotted anything that just didn't add up. The good news is that I have a very good solution that popped into my head the other day.
I should be able to finish the book in two weeks. I travel to Laramie Wyoming on July 14th for Launchpad-13. While there, I will have plenty of time to write. Since I'm a morning person, I'll be waking up nice and early and then walking to a cafe where I will have breakfast and do some writing. In the evening, after class, I'll be writing. My wife still has to do her proofing and she has promised to not only work on it as much as she can but she's decided to root out every bad spelling, word misuse, and all other mangled words that I tend to overlook. If all goes well, the book should be available in a couple months.
The sun is now coming up, the neighbors are waking up, and it's time to get back to work on the fence.