2013-09-02

09-01-2013: DragonCon Day 4

Once again, this post is being uploaded the morning after I wrote it due to problems with the hotel wireless.

Our last day at DragonCon began with lunch at the Sun Dial restaurant located on the 72nd floor of the Westin hotel in Atlanta. We were joined by Jody Lynn Nye, Farah Mendlesohn, Stu Segal, and his son Steve. Farah was dressed in a Starfleet uniform. During lunch we were treated to a spectacular thunderstorm with huge bolts of cloud-to-ground lightning providing quite a show. We were a little worried because this was the first day we had decided not to carry our umbrellas.

Jody had to depart early as she was sitting on a panel at 2:30. We said our goodbyes and wished Farah a safe flight back to London—her flight departed at 7:00pm. On the ride back down (inside a glass elevator that rides on the outside of the building) we noticed it had stopped raining. Lucky for us, it didn't rain for the rest of the day.

At this point I had two choices. I wanted to attend Jody's panel at 2:30 but it was now nearly 2:50. I desperately wanted to attend a panel at 4:00 with Larry Niven and Jody and I realized the line would begin forming quite early. My original plans had called for me to bug out of the 2:30 panel early so I could get a good place in line for the 4:00 panel. But lunch had taken so long that it no longer made much sense to attend the 2:30 panel. I decided to start the line for the 4:00 panel. After several false starts caused by a lack of knowledge on the part of the conference room gatekeepers, I finally found where the line was to begin. So did several other people.

I stood in line for about 45 minutes and then found myself in the front row of the 4:00 panel—"The Logic of Magic". It was a wonderful discussion and I thoroughly enjoyed it. While I did all this, my wife wandered the dealer's room. Afterwards, I met her at Durangoe's for dinner and then we caught the bus back to the hotel thus ending our last day at DragonCon.


We have had a great time and now we must bid Atlanta farewell. We are heading back to Ohio with a stop in Wytheville to rest. During the return trip, my wife has said she will try to continue proofing Peacekeeper. In the meantime, I will begin my own final pass through the manuscript to make sure everything is as good as I can make it.