2013-09-29

09-29-2013: Peacekeeper update

Last week we put 2026 miles on one of our cars. We drove from Ohio to Minnesota to visit friends and relatives. It was a whirlwind trip with almost no time for proofing or editing. My wife did manage to knock out several chapters and I did the same but we are not done yet. I am currently on chapter 36 with my final editing and my wife has about 12 pages left to proof. Once I'm done, Cheryl will go back and check my editing to make sure I haven't introduced anything bad and then it will be off to the presses (so to speak).

In case you're wondering, here is how I get a novel done. I use Scrivener to write it and also for my first editing pass. I then convert it into Word, do some minor reformatting, and then print it out for my wife to look at. She does her editing using a red pen. I then take her changes and enter them into what is now the Word master of the manuscript. I will also make a second pass through the book doing final editing changes. I use Word's track changes feature so Cheryl can find the changes I've made to give them a final look. This is how Peacekeeper is being built and the process has been refined over the last couple of books. My wife and I work very well together.

I am now sitting in a motel room in Beaver Valley Pennsylvania. Tomorrow morning, I begin working 12-hour days, 6 days a week in support of the Beaver Valley power station outage. I won't have a lot of time to write or edit but I promise to get some done while I'm here. I do have Sunday's off and if all goes well I hope to have the book done by the end of that day so it can be made available. I will fire off an email to everyone on my mailing list when that happens.

That's it for now. Stay tuned. Peacekeeper is coming soon!