2013-10-09

10-09-2013: Late post - Peacekeeper editing

This week's post is late due to a number of factors. Since the blog is about "Working and Writing" I should perhaps include some of the things that I do for a living other than writing.

I am a nuclear power plant worker. The company I work for owns 4 reactors. These reactors must periodically shut down about once a year (my plant is only every 2 years) so the reactor can be refueled. This is called an outage. It's a major event for a nuclear plant with lots of work going on. The plants that are not being refueled send a few people from each shop to the down plant to help with the work. That's where I am now. I am working 12 hours a day 6 days a week. That doesn't leave much time for anything else. Luckily, I only have one week left on this schedule.

My one day off is Sunday and I had to make a quick trip home to fix my Media Center server. Let me explain this as well: Instead of using a cable company DVR box, my cable comes into the house and goes to one of my computers. I have a quad-tuner installed and my computer serves as a whole-house DVR. I use Microsoft Media Center for this. My two televisions have an X-Box connected to them that then connects to the Media Center server and that's how I watch and record television shows. Last week, the server stopped responding and neither X-Box could connect to it. I found that Norton-360 had suddenly decided that the X-Boxes were new devices and blocked them. I spend last Sunday removing Norton and installing Microsoft Security Essentials. The server is now running smoothly.


Peacekeeper update: My wife has finished proofing the book and I am on the last chapter of my final edit. Because I'm not at home, I can't put her final changes in and she can't look at the edits I've made. We plan to take care of this as soon as possible. My hopes are to have the book available for sale by 10-19. If I can swing it, this date will be moved up.