2014-04-06

Houston - We Have a Problem

Well dear readers – it seems I have a bit of a problem. Peacekeeper 2 has reached the halfway point (41,547 words) and I have a huge pile of notes concerning changes to things I've already written. The other major issue concerns my main character; he is about to step away from the action and that's something I can't allow. I could diverge from the norm here and split the book off in two directions with two completely separate plots going along at the same time. I don't ever recall reading a book that's done this.

So, I've been racking my brain for days trying to figure a way out of this problem. If I try to keep my main character involved, the story will appear forced and not true to life. If I split into two parallel paths, the reader might put the book down in disgust and send me a virus-packed email in revenge. On the other hand, doing parallel paths keeps the action going as well as the exploration of the main character's growing relationship with his alien friend. Normally, this sort of thing works itself out while I sleep but so far this has not happened. I wake up just as lost for a solution as when I went to bed.

Another possibility is to begin the phase 2 editing of what I've already written so I can incorporate my changes. By the time I'm done, maybe I'll have figured things out. If a solution pops into my head, I'll just stop editing and start writing again. I guess this is one of those problems that can occur when you're a seat-of-the-pants (SOP) type of writer.

In other news, Linda Nagata has recently posted a very helpful description of what a copyeditor should and should not do. I met Linda at the 2012 Launch Pad and I met Chaz (her copyeditor) at the 2013 Launch Pad. You can read the post by following this link:  http://hahvi.net/?p=3931#more-3931.

One of my Launch Pad contacts has also sent out an email with a link you might find interesting. If you write realistic SciFi, you should read the article on How Many People Does it Take to Colonize another Star System?

Feedback on this topic is requested
I recently fired off a tweet asking what is the preferred way to abbreviate "communications"; is it com or comm?  Jamie Todd Rubin's was the only reply I received and he believes it should be comm. There are very few references to this on the internet but the one that directly addressed this issue said the proper dictionary abbreviation is com. I've seen (and unfortunately used) both. Which one is correct? My guess – whichever one the author prefers.


I recently signed up for a local writer's retreat I just heard about. It takes place in May and I was accepted. The cost is minimal since I will not be staying in a room there. I'll be commuting back and forth. It will be a weekend of interfacing with other writers and writing. I'll let you know how it goes in May.