2014-04-13

Screwed up words

Peacekeeper update: 43,341 words. Even though the book has run into two possible snags, progress is being made. My new position at the power plant will have an impact on my progress. I am now working 12 hours a day, 5 days a week for the foreseeable future. I enjoy my new job so working the extra hours is no bother but it has and will continue to take a large bite out of my writing time. I'm looking into some alternatives to see if I can't get back some time.

Today is my wife's birthday and today will be devoted to spending time with her. That will put writing on the back burner as soon as she wakes up. To get some writing done today, I'm going to cheat a bit on this post.

Screwed up words: One of the most tedious tasks I do in the final days of editing is to perform a search for the words I seem to consistently screw up. The spell check will flag things that are not spelled correctly but it will not flag a word that is used wrongly. At yesterday's writer's group meeting, I had a fellow writer point out one such word that I've just added to my list (who's should have been whose). My list has grown over the years and now also contains several entries for improving my grammar. So here's my cheat part - I'm going to dump the list on you and get back to writing. Here it is:

Screwed up words

Except
Accept
Its
It’s
Loose
Lose
Aid
Aide  (military aide)
Gorilla  (animal)
Guerilla (warfare)
Border (boundary)
Boarder (roommate)
Oar (for boats)
Ore  (rocks)
Councilor (member of a council)
Counselor (one who coucels)
Rouge (reddish color)
Rogue (solitary)
Forward (direction of motion)
Foreword (Introduction)
Roll (bun, roll down hill)
Role (specific job)
Sighting
Citing
Forth
Fourth
Colleges
Colleagues
Their
They're
Your
You're
Lay
Lie
A lot
Use "a lot" instead
Alright
"All right" is more correct
anyways
Use anyway instead
"could care less"
Use "could not care less"
"could of"
Use "could have" instead
"heart-wrenching"
Use "heart-rending" instead
Nauseous
Usually replaced with nauseated. People do not feel nauseous, they feel nauseated.
Quicker
Not a word – use quick or quickly
Reoccurrence
Not a word – use recurrence.
Suppose to
Replace with "supposed to"
Waste
Waist
Peel
Peal
Dessert
desert
Governor (head of state)
Governer (controlling)
who’s
Whose



Publication Checklist

·         Watch out for putting apostrophe s (‘s) after alien names. (Tholtaran’s instead of Tholtarans)
·         Always keep human lower case – never Human.
·         Search for a limit use of words ending in 'ly'.
·         Search for a limit use of words ending in 'ize' and 'ization'.
·         Make sure 'fewer' and 'less than' are used correctly.  Fewer with things that can be counted.
·         Imply means to suggest – Infer means to deduce.
·         Make sure 'affect' and 'effect' are used correctly.
·         'Unique' should not be preceded by very, more, rather or so.
·         'Type up' = type.  'Print out' = print.
·         'Anxious' = worried.  'Eager' is not worried.
·         'Center on' = 'Center around'
·         'Vast difference' should be just 'difference'.
·         Look for 'make' in front of words and eliminate if possible.
·         Limit the use of 'however'.
·         Eliminate 'if and when' – use one or the other.
·         'Different than' = 'different from'.
·         Delete 'in addition' and 'moreover'.
·         'Whether or not' = 'whether'.
·         Ellipses ( … ) are for gaps, dashes are for interruptions.
·         Ellipses should have spaces on either side.
·         Em-dashes (– or —) should not have spaces on either side.

·         Check usage of "if I was" vs "if I were".  Use 'were' to express a wish or something that could not be true.  Use 'was' if the something could be true.  See http://grammar.quickanddirtytips.com/subjunctive-verbs-was-i-were.aspx for details.