2014-08-10

PK 2 - Editing

After receiving some very good feedback from my new copy-editor as well as some from my writers group, I've decided to go back to chapter 1 and revise. This will mean another delay but I think you will be pleased with the results once the book is released. I will be working hard at finding at least an hour each day for editing to speed the process up.

My big problem with the Galactic Alliance series - especially PK2 - is my familiarity with the GA universe. I've been living with GA technology (in my head of course) since the early '70s. It's so familiar with me that I just let some things pass in the books without describing them. Now, many writer books say that in science fiction the tech should just be there. The books should show the tech without having to explain it. The reason they say is because explaining the technology detracts from the story you're trying to tell. This might be okay for some things and for some types of science fiction, but I have to disagree when it comes to the GA series.

There are some things that will never be explained, like how a shield works. But other things need some explanation or at least some further details added. For instance, the Peacekeeper's biolink is a marvel of engineering but it has its limitations. It cannot allow a PK to control his entire ship by his mind alone. The biolink can sense thoughts and it can--on a simple level--send them, as well. But it cannot immerse the PK into a virtual reality world. If you've read Peacekeeper then you know I've used a total virtual reality world before. This is easy for a PK because the ship's AI simply has to take over control of the PKs cybernetic systems and use the existing connections from these devices to trick the PK into thinking he's in a virtual world. Did I explain this in sufficient detail in Peacekeeper? I'm not sure.

The point is - PK2 is going to be delayed by a few weeks and it's going to be a far better product for it. I will be sending my wife individual chapters to proof as I finish them so the re-write/editing/proofing process will continue in parallel.

Thank you for your patience. I'll let you know how I'm doing with this blog.