2014-09-14

PK2 - Final rewrite complete

At long last, the final rewrite of Peacekeeper 2 is complete. I am now waiting on my wife to complete her grammatical review, then it's on to a final review by another grammarian, and then the book will be published. There is a cover in the works but it's far from being close to a reveal. I am also working on a line to gain access to another photo that would be perfect for the book's background but so far I've not heard back from the photo's owner.

Readers of the GA series will remember the race called the Kyrra. The Kyrra first appeared in my mind back in 1977 when I was drawing science-fiction scenes and pretending I could be a writer. Recently, I picked up a book by Stanley Schmidt titled 'Aliens and Alien Societies'. My jaw threatened to disengage from my face when I read a passage where he mentions an alien race he created called--of all things--the Kyyra. The spelling is different, but the name of the race is the same. As best as I can determine, the book this is from (The Sins of the Fathers) was published in 2009. What are the odds of two authors creating an alien race with nearly the same name? I know there's no possibility he heard it from me and I've never read any of his books. Now that's a head scratcher.

A friend of mine, author Linda Nagata, has been working on a sequel to her award-nominated book The Red: First Light. I've been waiting for it for quite some time and assumed she was having a problem finding the time to finish it. I patiently waited. In a recent announcement she explained the delay. Her books are going to be picked up by a major publisher. I must admit, I am a bit jealous but I'm also a little concerned. Linda has been with a publisher in the past and some time ago decided to go indie. She's familiar with how publishers work and she's also familiar with the indie side of publishing. She's also a very smart person. If she believes going with a publisher is a good thing then I can only conclude that it is indeed the right thing to do. Only time will tell.

How would I react if an agent asked to promote my books to a publisher? I honestly don't know. I would most likely give Linda Nagata a call and ask her opinion. I have mixed feelings about going with a publisher which I've voiced in this blog in the past. Right now, sales are doing okay and I get a good royalty from them. If the books continue to sell then I might have a steady income for decades. Book rights are also a property and can be passed on to my kids. A publisher might sound like a wonderful idea especially when they dangle a large advance in front of you and make promises that the book will be well promoted. Most will follow through. But after a few years when sales begin to slump, then what? I have another friend who sold two books to a very large publisher. He received a good advance and then nothing - that was 10 years ago. He has tried and failed to get the digital rights for these books. Retaining ownership is very important because steady low sales will bring in a nice steady (although low) additional income. Once sales fall below a certain number with a large publisher, your book is shelved. The only way to make a living writing for a large publisher is to crank out more books. I've been averaging one a year so I could do that: it would be a tough choice. I do wish Linda all the luck in the world and I will stay in touch with her to see how this pans out.

That's it from my little world. Time to start putting some grammar changes in Peacekeeper 2.