2014-10-05

The Next Project

My wife is now about 3/4's of the way done with her proofing of Peacekeeper 2. I think I remind her at least 3 times a day to please try to work on proofing. We have had a very busy week and she has been quite busy. Next week looks to be a bit better. I do tend to get very impatient around this stage of the writing process because I know there are people out there who are waiting to read the book. Naturally, I also want to see it published. But, I need to learn how to have patience. Perhaps next time I will not be so revealing as to how far along my next project is and then I won't get myself into this situation.

I have several ideas bouncing around in my head for what my next project is going to be. I have been working on a YA story involving a disfigured boy and a dragon but I have not yet figured out what the middle of the book is going to be like. I've already come up with some great stuff but right now it's all in my head. I will have to put it into writing soon before it fades into oblivion.

Another possibility is a third Dragonverse. There are some very good possibilities there but I think I would have to go back and clean up the existing novels first. I've learned a lot about writing since then and I can see where the books need improvement. Since they're in electronic format, I can easily make changes and republish.

I've had a number of people ask me to write a sequel to Off Course and I have some interesting ideas there as well. I haven't given it much thought while writing PK2. but I've thought about it in the past.

Finally, I've been giving some serious thought to writing a short guide to self-publishing. Since I'll be sitting on a self-publishing panel at next year's WorldCon I'll be doing some additional research into the subject. I've been doing self-publishing since 2009 and I think I have a good enough background to put together something that other aspiring writers will find useful. I used to be against signing on with a major publisher but today's contracts are actually pretty good for writers - as long as you get one of these contracts. There's also the issue with the SFWA and its treatment of self-published authors. They have their reasons, but I think it's high time they realized not all self-published authors write sub-standard novels.