2015-01-18

Last Year's Sales

I did this some time ago and I promised to continue to report my sales. I do this because there is no other way for an indie author to know if he or she is doing well compared to other authors. I have said it before and I will say it again, writing--in my opinion--is not a competition. But sales numbers matter. Here are my total book sales since I started keeping records. The jump in November of 2014 is from the release of Peacekeeper 2.


Author Jim Hines has gone one step farther and posted his income from writing. I applaud him for this! I haven't asked him yet, but I hope he's going to WorldCon so I can meet him in person. Here is a link to his writing income post: Jim Hines: Writing income

Just a quick reminder - don't forget about my Goodreads book giveaway. If you don't want a copy of Translight go ahead and enter and then let me know what book you do want.

I spent a few hours at Barnes & Noble (our favorite hangout) working on Dragonverse updates. I managed to get over 90% done before my netbook battery died. When I first bought the netbook, the battery would easily run for 5 hours. Now it lasts about 2.5. One of the writers in my B&N writer's group just recently purchased a Microsoft Surface Pro 3. Nifty machine. I immediately wanted one. Yesterday, after the batter died, I was seriously considering buying one. But then, I started thinking. I do a lot of writing with my netbook on my lap. The configuration of a tablet would make writing in this position a bit of a pain. So, instead of spending almost $1,000.00 for a new computer, I spent $24.00 on a new battery.

If all goes well, I will have my Dragonverse edits done by the end of today and then begin work on the next novel -- Dragonverse Origins.

A reader of this blog (Nathan Pim) asked what will happen when I upload a new copy of Dragonverse to Amazon. I never really gave it much thought before because most of the changes I've made in the past to other books were minor, involving nothing more than grammatical fixes. I have made a few story changes to Dragonverse but not enough to warrant having anyone reread the book. But still, the question remained -- what happens? Nathan did the research and came up with two links from Amazon that provided the answer. You can read the exchange here. Thanks Nathan!

I'm bringing this up for two reasons: 1) Self-published authors are about the only authors on the planet who have the ability to make such changes and have them out in the world with a touch of a button. The typical publishing time for a novel from a major publishing house is 3 years. 2) If the author makes what Amazon considers 'major' changes, they will email everyone who has downloaded the book informing them of the update. This got me to thinking...

If Amazon thinks I made 'major' changes to Dragonverse, they will email everyone who has ever downloaded a copy. This sounds like free advertising! So, I will be holding on to my updates until a month before the release of Dragonverse Origins and I will then upload the changes and inform Amazon of this fact. If they decide to send out an email, then everyone who has ever purchased Dragonverse could potentially discover I've released a new book. It's a marketing ploy I did not know existed.

Now, I wonder if Amazon has a way of informing people when an author they've bought books from has released a new book?

Back to writing.