2015-02-22

Time

Dragonverse Origins now has a bit over 9,000 words in the story. I have not been writing as much as I would prefer and that’s reflected in the current word count. I’m going to take a good look at finding a way to get at least a little bit more writing done each week. There have been several things that have gotten in the way that I have no control over.

I typically write in the morning. My mind is usually uncluttered with leftover code from my day-job and I write my best stuff during this time. This also means that I normally write only on weekends. Back when I was working a 10-hour shift, this translated into 3 days a week of writing. My new job is an 8 hour a day, 5 day a week gig which cuts the writing down to 2 days a week. Over a long period of time, that’s a lot of writing. I also maintain a computer program that runs automatically every day. If it fails to run, I must drive into work to fix it. Usually, the fix is simple like logging in again because IT rebooted my computer for me or the antivirus update caused Outlook to question if my program had the authority to send emails. But each time this happens I lose at least 1.5 hours.

I work at a nuclear power plant and we periodically shut the unit down for refueling. This takes place every 2 years at my plant and this refueling outage begins on March 9th. I will most likely be working some strange hours (still undefined) so this may impact or help me find time for writing. If my work schedule allows, there’s a chance I could be getting some writing done while at work. I could go in early, come home later, or extend my lunch and work longer. I’m salaried and that means I have a little flexibility in the hours I work.

Having these big gaps between my writing has had a small positive effect though. When I’m not actively putting words into the computer, I’m thinking about what I have already written and what I’m about to write. Sometimes, after a few days, I come up with things I need to go back and change. If I was writing every day, this may not happen. Most writing experts say a writer should write every day. The reason behind this is to keep yourself focused on the story and it helps complete the story in a reasonable amount of time. I typically write one book a year. If I wrote every day, I think I could easily put out 2 or 3 books a year. But, I have a day job and I’m married, so certain things must come before writing.

For another view of finding time to write I will point you to an article by a friend of mine who is a prolific writer. Take a look at this article from Jamie Todd Rubin.

I have embarked on a quest to read at least one book written by each of the authors I’ve met at Launch Pad. I will read them if I have a signed copy in my possession. I recently finished Elysium by Jennifer Marie Brissett. This book is written in a very different style and it took some getting used to. In the end though, I really enjoyed the book. You can read my GoodReads review here. I am currently reading Fair Coin by E. C. Myers.