2015-04-19

Thoughts on Awards

Dragonverse Origins update: The first draft now stands at 26,030 words. I’ve actually some pretty good progress over the past couple of days. Yesterday, I worked from 0400 until about noon. I met my wife at the car dealer so she could drop her car off and then we went to Barnes & Noble for a few hours. I wrote over 1,100 words. After B&N, we went out to dinner and then home. I had just enough time to say hello to the cats before heading to bed. I started work today at 0430 and once again met my wife at B&N right after noon. After writing another 400 words it suddenly occurred to me that today is blog day.

Origins is coming along quite nicely. The manuscript is working its way through a slow spot and I’m trying to figure out a way to give it a little more of an interesting twist. There is a lot of information and setting up that needs to be done before the main story can kick in. Milus (my protagonist) is a young boy with some problems that need to be dealt with before he can grow. I know quite a bit about how things are going to progress but I’m not exactly quite sure how I’m going to get there. A major breakthrough is about to occur – if I can figure out how to set up for it.

I read a very interesting article that was posted on Twitter concerning the perceived benefits of winning an award. There once was a time when I thought that being nominated for a Hugo, Nebula, Clark, or other award would be the ultimate achievement. In the past, this might have been true. But these days, with self-publishing on the rise, I’m not so sure. Of course, being nominated would still be a tremendous ego-booster, but would it affect sales? My answer is no – the same thing the article said. Try this with your science-fiction reading friends. Ask them if they know what the Hugo, Nebula, or Clark award is. If they say they’ve heard of it, ask them who one recently.

Books are nominated for awards by other writers – not readers. Yes, writers are also readers, but I think you know what I mean. Most readers these days have no clue that the book they are looking at to buy has been nominated for an award unless it says so prominently on the cover. And even so, they most likely don’t care. As a writer, being nominated for an award would make me happy beyond belief because, to me, it means other writers have found my books to be equal to their own. But, in the end, I’m also happy to watch my books continue to sell on Amazon and Smashwords.

I have seen two writers publish their income from writing numbers on the internet. While some might think this is a ridiculously stupid thing to do, I applaud their willingness to share this information. How else can other writers know how well they are doing? I’ve published my book counts which comes close to telling how much I’ve made from writing. I’m considering publishing my actual income as well. Traditional publishers do not like to hear that self-published authors are doing well. Perhaps more of us should share our numbers. If you run across other authors who are sharing their income numbers with the public please send me a link to the article.


I will be back to working 8-hour days next week. That means more time for writing. I will keep you posted.