2015-06-07

A Week at Launch Pad

Thanks to my time at Launch Pad, Dragonverse Origins now stands at 42,242 words. I’m sitting in the Denver airport writing this post and then I will return to working on Origins.

I had a great time at Launch Pad this year—my fourth time. I know I will always have a great time every year. If you’re a writer, editor, or work in the entertainment industry, I urge you to apply for acceptance into next year’s Launch Pad. There is room for about 18 applicants each year. Even if you are positive you will not be accepted, please apply anyway. The number of applicants can be used to help secure funding for future sessions.

Since this is my fourth time through the course, I spent most of my time writing. Although I’ve been returning to this event every year since 2012, I’m actually not part of the ‘official’ staff. That honor is reserved for the instructors:  Founders Professor Mike Brotherton and Professor Jim Verley, and returning instructors Andria Schwartz and Christian Ready. I am a returning alumni who helps out by being one of the drivers. Having someone who has been through the course before has worked out for Mike and my invitation to return each year is still in effect.

I spent a considerable amount of time discussing my self-publishing success with some the traditionally published writers. Indie authors like myself are gaining ground in acceptance among the traditional writers. Provided indies continue to adhere to high standards, this trend should continue. The big disappointment this year was the last-minute cancelation of Kameron Hurley. Based on the tweets I’ve been reading from her I was really looking forward to meeting her. I am hoping she will reapply next year.

I also spent quite a bit of time talking to Steve Davidson, publisher of Amazing Stories. I will be sending him an email concerning my upcoming appearance on a panel at WorldCon. When it’s all over, I will be writing an article about my experience that will appear in his quickly-growing magazine. He will not be attending WorldCon.

One of my ongoing complaints with Launch Pad has been the outdated quality of their website. After discussing this with Mike Brotherton and Christian Ready, they've agreed to give me admin access to the site so I can try to bring it up-to-date. I have no plans to change the overall look and feel of the website, but I do intend on trying to keep it up-to-date. My first task, when I arrive back home, will be to learn WordPress. As soon as I'm comfortable with it, I will begin updating the Launch Pad website.

In other news, Grammarly has given me a free account to evaluate their product. My initial experience has been mixed, but I'm still learning my way around the product. I will present my honest views of this program from an indie author’s perspective in the near future.