2016-06-26

ID2

Get the Word Out
I'm putting this first because I'm asking everyone who reads this to do me a favor. Over the next few days, please put out the word on as many social networking sites as possible and at least once a day for a few days, about this bundled ebook offering from https://storybundle.com/scifi. There are two reasons I'm asking this: 1) Launch Pad gets some of the profits from the sales; 2) I have a short story in the Launch Pad anthology.

The bundle of science fiction stories is something you will be able to enjoy for a long time. The pricing is exceptionally good. And, best of all, some of the proceeds will go toward supporting Launch Pad.

Update
My wife is making fair progress on Dragonverse Origins. Her intention was to do quite a bit of proofing yesterday at the bookstore after we saw Independence Day Resurgence. As we sat down with our coffee and snacks, a friend of ours that we got to know in the bookstore appeared. The rest of the time was spent talking and no proofing got done. That's life. Proofing for my wife is not a full-time job. She stays pretty busy and she fits proofing in when she can. It's sort of like my writing -- I fit it in when I can.

IDR was, in my opinion, a good movie. Like most science fiction movies, you have to turn on part of your brain so you can enjoy the movie. There were many totally bogus scientific screw-ups -- enough to give those who know plenty to rip the movie to shreds. But that's not why I go to see movies like this. I think it would have been much better if the science was accurate, but most people don't know what good science looks like. Spacecraft do not fly anything like airplanes. Giant ships like those depicted in Independence Day (especially in Resurgence) are predicted to be impossible to build and can devastate an entire planet simply by orbiting them. But, all that aside, I enjoyed the cool alien weapons and technology used in the movie. I just pretended the ships involved were much smaller.

As for work on PK3 (Peacekeeper Pathogen), like my wife, life tends to get in the way. That's not to say that I haven't made any progress. I've added a couple thousand words since my last post. But I have also been doing a lot of thinking about this book and I've solidified the story in my mind. This is important because I wasn't exactly too sure how the book was going to play out. I have a good plan in mind now.

My writing style is known as the SOP or pantser style. This means I typically start a book with only a vague idea as to where it's going. Some authors are outliners -- they will outline each chapter from start to finish before starting on the book. Some are in between. But even a die-hard pantser will admit that they at least have some idea what they want to do with the book. If they didn't, then they wouldn't have started writing the story in the first place. I start with a central theme, an idea of what the story will revolve around. For the original Peacekeeper, it was all about what becoming a peacekeeper is like. For Translight, it was about mankind's first interstellar ship and first contact. All stories must have a goal even if it can't be put into words. A writer will take the central idea -- the core of what he or she wants to write about -- and develop a story that uses that central idea to achieve the story's goal.

Time to get back to writing.