2016-07-31

Impressions

Update
All final editing for Dragonverse Origins is complete. The formatting for CreateSpace (printed) version is also done. That means Dragonverse Origins is now 100% finished. The only remaining thing to do is to upload the final copy to Amazon as well as CreateSpace.

You can pre-order Origins at: https://amzn.com/B01IU96X4O. Please consider making a pre-order. Please pass the word on to your friends who enjoy fantasy. Pre-orders help boost a new book’s ratings so it’s important to have as many as possible by the time the book is released. For less than the cost of a Starbuck’s latte, you will have an exciting book to hold your imagination for several days. When you think about the cost and how long the satisfaction lasts, buying a book is a far better deal!

I would like to thank my wife, Cheryl, for proofing my books. I know she does not really enjoy reading fantasy and dislikes science fiction even more. She did a great job of catching a lot of mistakes. I had a reader from Germany (Ekkehard Flessa) read the final version as well after I made the editorial fixes found by my wife. Ekkehard Flessa is a German engineer who is fluent in English. He seems to have a knack for finding issues in grammar and word usage. Since it never hurts to have a second editor look at the final product, I gave him a copy and asked him to point out every error he could find. He found more than I had expected. Those changes are now in place. Thank you!!!


Author profile
[WARNING—Some writers might not agree with me on this but this is my opinion.]

Not long after attending my first Launch Pad, I joined Twitter and specifically created a name that identified me as an author. I then followed my new author acquaintances so I could keep up with their activities, get posts on their blogs, etc. For a number of years Twitter was an enjoyable place for me. Recently, however, it has been filled with politics, news of violent attacks, and other such information. I rarely tweet anything other than writing-related news—here’s why.

An author is defined by what they make publicly available. This begins with their books. Properly edited, grammatically correct, and well-formatted books show readers you are serious about what you do. If a reader wants to learn more about a particular author, they will most likely head for that author’s web page. If it can’t be found, then the reader might look to Facebook, Twitter, Google+, Linked-In, or any of the other social media services out there. What they find on those sites will define that author as a person.

As a reader, I’m interested in an author’s writing career as well as a bit about their personal background. Since I’m a self-published author wanting to advance my own art of writing, I also hope to learn from other authors. What I don’t care to read is a slew of reposts, retweets, and links to everything that is wrong witht his world. If I wanted to hear about how corrupt politicians are or all the other wrongs that humans do to each other, I would turn on the news.

Luckily, there are apps available now that can filter out such garbage. They’re not 100% accurate, but ever since I’ve started filtering my tweets, Twitter is, one again, a happy place for me. The number of tweets has also dropped dramatically.

In my humble opinion, if you’re an author and you want to get involved in the political process, then you should create a second account so you can post such unrelated news on that account. If people are interested in that side of you, then they will follow both accounts.