2016-10-02

Covers

Update
Dragonverse Origins is now at 35,799 words. I managed to get some writing in during the week. I am fast approaching a point in the book where I need to solve a couple of major problems facing the Peacekeepers. At the moment, I have no clue how they are going to solve this problem. I need some detailed information on biotechnology and I've sent out a request to the network of authors from Launch Pad looking for an expert in the field. I believe I've found one.

Covers
I'm sure you've heard the saying that a book is sold by its cover. There's a great deal of truth in this. On the flip-side, you don't want to judge a book by its cover either. A book could have the slickest cover imaginable and be filled with words that make no sense. A well-designed cover will entice a reader into looking at what's inside. The formatting, grammatical correctness, and how well the first few pages are written will determine if the reader makes the purchase. Plot, character development, and the story itself will determine how the reader judges the book and his or her subsequent review (if one is written).

The point is, all of the pieces that make up a book must be done correctly or your novel is going to be a flop. It's the cover that starts this entire process. Word of mouth plays into this as well but the cover is ultimately what get's the ball rolling towards building a following.

With that in mind, I decided to make a tweak to the cover of Dragonverse Origins. The original had a pinkish sky. The dragon did not stand out as much as I would have liked. Photoshop came to the rescue. Using the recolor feature of Elements 14, I altered the color of the sky from pink to blue. That made the dragon stand out much better. You can see the results at the end of this post.

I did this yesterday instead of writing. Sometimes, you have to work at the mechanics of self-publishing instead of focusing all your attention on putting out the words. I made the cover changes for a very important reason--I've submitted the book to the SFWA for consideration in the 2016 Nebula awards. This is the first time I've ever submitted a book to any sort of award contest and I was unsure if I should do so.

I've always been a believer that if people found my books good enough, they would have submitted it to compete for an award. But, believe it or not, most of your everyday readers have never heard of or simply don't care about what awards a book has won or been nominated for. So, I decided to submit a book and see what happens. This submission does not mean it is nominated. I've simply made it available for anyone who is a member of SFWA to read the book. Someone else will have to actually nominate it.

Here are the before and after book covers for Dragonverse Origins: