2016-12-11

Just writing

Update
Peacekeeper Pathogen now stands at 73,394 words with an estimated 2 chapters to go. The end is in sight! After it's finished, I'll be sending it to Lee Dilkie for his take on the overall story. While he's reading it, I'll be taking a short break from writing to update my website and possibly start working on updating the covers and formatting for the Dragonverse series. Once I have his input, I'll begin the editing phase.

When I sat down to write this post, I thought I was very conflicted about what to write about: Should I talk about how it looks as if our society is becoming less tolerant and common courtesy is not something people are taught anymore? Should I talk about the rising threat of your electronic life? Or should I say something about how losing privacy might not be such a bad thing after all?

In the end, I decided not to talk about any of that. We live in an increasingly depressing world and I want to talk about happier things.

Sales are up. I attribute this to using Amazon advertising. A friend of mine (also self-published) heard I have been doing well and asked me to explain how I did it. His sales are also on the rise. Amazon advertising works as long as you know how to properly use it.

We had our first real winter snow starting on December 9th. It caused a large stretch of interstate I90 to be closed due to several multiple-car pileups and bad conditions. I've used the snow blower 4 times since then to clear mine and my neighbor's driveway. In fact, it's still snowing now and we are looking at snow turning to rain turning back to snow for today's forecast. Lovely.

I will say one thing about your digital security. A large majority of people who use computers, cell phones, and tablets are not well-versed in how to protect them properly. People should be educated on how to use these devices properly. They should all come with instructions and warning concerning how you can lose everything you store on these devices. The warnings should also indicate how vulnerable you become to those who understand the technology better than you do.

To help those who read this post, I highly recommend purchasing MalwareBytes 3.0. Use this in addition to a good anti-virus program. Make sure you keep your computer up-to-date and stay on top of the latest security threats. Don't turn off the automatic updates for products such as Adobe Flash. A recent security flaw was uncovered in Adobe, so make sure you update. Be vigilant with your internet presence and always remember that anyone anywhere can be seeing what you post on public sites.

Time for me to finish installing updates on my computers and then get back to writing.