2017-07-02

Progress

Course Correction (still the temporary title) now stands at 17.879 words. I'm still in the process of fixing the story line. If all goes well, things will be back on track by the end of next week.

Progress has been made with my website upgrade project. Yesterday, I opened up an account with X10 Hosting to build a test site. After a few false starts, the new author website is up and running. Now that it's on an actual server, I can open it with my cell phone, tablet, and other machines and browsers. So far, it looks okay but there are definitely some tweaks that need to be made. I have a new book to read (Responsive Web Design with HTML5 and CSS3) that should help. I'm using a free account and this is just a test site. Once I'm happy with how it looks, I have several options. I can transfer my domain name to X10 Hosting and continue to use the free site or I can copy all the files to a paid host and run the official site from there. So far, I'm leaning towards the first option but we shall see.

I was unable to get Filezilla to work on my Windows 10 machine so I'm looking for an FTP program that's free and works on Windows 10. There's quite a selection so I'll be spending some time today looking over reviews and such.

In the non-writing world. I saved myself about $200.00 last week by doing my own repair/modification of our relatively new dishwasher. About a year after we got it, we started getting an error display and the dishwasher would stop. The machine was still under warranty so we called and someone came out to fix it. The problem turned out to be very common--a fan unit in the top with a solenoid-operated valve that does not properly close. A year after it was replaced under warranty, the same thing happened.

I took the fan module out and took it apart. Turns out, the tiny spring that holds the rubber valve closed is far too wimpy. I used a pen spring to give it some more strength, reassembled the unit and reinstalled it in the machine. It's run for three complete cycles now without an error. Fixed!

Finally, if you happen to be a developer who produces Microsoft Access, Excel, Word, or PowerPoint applications, it might not be in your best interest to upgrade to the latest version every time a new version comes out. If a client has an older version, the application will most likely fail especially if you do any VBA coding. Microsoft versions are always backward compatible meaning if a client has the newest version they can still run your application. The reverse, however, is not always true. The major problem is with the Office applications library. If this happens, you will have to change the references by running the source code on your client's machine and then recompile.