2017-07-16

Trying on a new hat

Not much progress has been made on Collision Course since last week. I seem to be stuck in a loop trying to decide which path to take at this point in the new novel. Until that's resolved, I'll most likely work on assembling a new hat to wear--that of website author.

I have been building my new author website on a free hosting platform and so far the results are okay. Last week, I finally got the formatting to look like I wanted--on Chrome. But Chrome is not the only browser out there so I decided to test it out on my phone. It looked great. Next came Internet Explorer. Not so good. Using caniuse, I learned there was a bug in Explorer on how it behaved regarding one of the tags I was using. Back to the drawing board.

I should point out that I started off using NotePad++ as my editor just so I could become used to entering the tags correctly. During the hours long trial and error to fix my code so it would display properly on both Chrome and Explorer, I switched to CodeWriter. This still required me to do the endless edit, save, switch to browser, refresh, cycle and it quickly became a pain in the neck. I did solve the problem and things are working much better on multiple browsers.

Thinking there must be a better way, I began my search for a better HTML editor. I eventually found Brackets. This editor seemed to have everything I dreamed of. A quick internet search, however, found nothing in the way of a user guide. How the hell am I supposed to learn a powerful program if there's no user guide? I wanted this editor but nowhere could I find a manual explaining what it is capable of and how to do it. I was about to give up when I found a series of videos explaining how to use Brackets. Lisa Catalano has not only put together a fantastic series of videos, she's also one hell of a web designer and I learned plenty while also learning how to use Brackets.

Being a self-published author means wearing many hats: Writer, editor, business manager, accountant, sales manager, promotion manager, document formatter, and observer just to name a few. If you want a website, you most likely need to fashion a website author hat as well. Like many authors I know, I'm also a software developer. I use my writing skills every day during my day job to maintain the User Guide and the Technical Reference Manual for every application I write. It's common sense. Brackets is a fantastic product. It's lack of a manual almost caused me to pass it by.

Now I have to go fix another problem before I can get back to work on Collision Course. I use Microsoft Media Center as my DVR. Two weeks ago, the guide began showing "No Data Available" for all channels. This meant our shows would no longer be recorded. I eventually managed to coax the system into doing a partial download of the guide and we had information on the lower channels. A few days ago, that information became unreliable and only went out about 7 days. Nothing available on the upper channels still.

I called the cable company--not their problem. I called Microsoft--Media Center is no longer supported--not their problem. Finally, I found a drastic solution. After I post this, I will be replacing my guide with one developed by the loyal community of Media Center users. I hope it works.