2017-11-11

Snow

This has been a very busy week. It has not been a productive week for writing though. I had something to occupy my time every day. Yesterday (a day off), Cheryl and I just sort of lounged around the house. I never once fired up my writing computer and barely touched the cell phone. It was a day to just kick back, get some reading done, and relax. I had been working on a very complex piece of programming at work and I think my brain just needed a break.

Wednesday, I blew all the leaves out to the street. Thursday morning, the leaf sucker truck rolled by and made them go away. Unfortunately, my one remaining tree with leaves on it decided that Thursday morning was the time to drop its leaves--all of them! So, I spent Thursday blowing leaves again. Friday morning, it snowed for the first time this winter.

The good news is that the house and yard are now prepped for winter and I have a couple days left in the weekend. But now I must decide if I want to write or continue to learn more about the amazingly powerful jQuery programming language. It's a toss-up as to which I like more; writing or programming. Before I took up writing, I would sit and read programming books pretty much any chance I got. Then, I discovered the joy of self-publishing and writing became my new passion. But things are swinging back around.

One of the driving forces behind a writer is the knowledge that the stories he or she creates are going to be enjoyed by others. Our species developed language so we could pass on knowledge and experience to our fellow humans. We began doing so by telling stories and now it is deeply rooted in our behavior. What do you do when you go to a party or are just sitting with your friends? What activity can bring work on an important project to a halt as everyone gathers around the water cooler? Storytelling!

But, without an audience, even the most die-hard writer begins to question if spending hundreds of hours working on a story is worth their time. The itch to write will never go away, but when sales are low for weeks and months on end, the writer finds that the itch doesn't need to be scratched as often. I will eventually finish Collision Course, especially since I am more than half-way done with it. But I'm on the fence regarding whether or not I want to start another book after that. The odds are good that I will--but one never knows.